Friday, July 8, 2011

listen...

Do you ever wish you climb into a picture so you could do more than just see? Then the picture would come alive for you and you would do much more than see - you would hear and be part of it. I wish you could climb into our pictures of the center and see and hear exactly what it's like each day. But since that's not quite possible, I'll share with you the little sounds I hear each day as we're working.

Bangles sliding back and forth on wrists that move to fold, glue, fold, glue.
Dupattas rustling as they are shifted over and over to cover beautiful heads.



Visitors asking all sorts of questions and then going on their merry ways.



Rulers sliding back and forth, back and forth to ensure perfectly folded cards.



Paper flattened and smoothed by hands covered in henna.



Bells jingling on anklets that dangle over bare feet.



Our fan whirring loudly and sputtering as it rotates stubbornly. (How thankful we are for this fan!)



Bare feet pitter-pattering in and out of the center, seeking something small to make into a toy - a rubberband, scrap paper, anything really.



And one of my favorite sounds, lots and lots of laughter:




I'm thankful for each of these sounds and the many others we hear each day: roosters crowing, the old grandmother who sits outside the center and sings to us, children across the street learning to count in English - "ooooonnne, twwwwoooo, threeeee...", the ladies at the center singing and teaching me Hindi.......I love all of these sounds. They remind me that we are all people. We are all different but we are all so very alike in the ways that matter. Sure, I will never be just like these ladies in some ways and they will never be like me. But the differences are what make it all the more beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment