Monday, October 17, 2011

a thread braid

For a few weeks, Nunni has been wearing
a big bunch of threads braided into her hair
(I can't remember what it's called).
I thought it looked really awesome and kept telling her how much I love it.
Then, Tabasum started wearing one.
Tabasum sits right beside me each day at the center
and I've been playing with her "thread braid"
and trying to figure out how in the world it works
and asking a million questions about it.

Today, Nunni brought me my very own thread for a braid!
Tabasum braided it in
(under the direction and watchful eyes of 5 other ladies, of course!)
The ladies think it's hilarious that the braid is black and my hair is brown.
It looks really beautiful in their thick, dark, long, long, long hair.
It looks a little funny in mine because
I have brown hair that isn't nearly as thick or long.
But I still think it's awesome!





And a close-up... 

These precious ladies are like family to me.
I love sitting with them...
laughing, crying, rejoicing, learning, singing,
being women, braiding hair, sharing food
...just being with them.
I never knew I could feel at home in a slum in India.
But these sweet friends make sure that I do.
When I leave them each day and climb on the bus,
I feel as if my heart is as full of joy and hope and love
as it could possibly be.



No comments:

Post a Comment