and now we are quite literally up to our eyeballs with them!
At first, the ladies were amazed at the possibility
that they could learn to make journals.
I think a few of them believed it was impossible.
But still they each bravely reached for that first sheet of paper,
determined to learn.



And now they are so proud of their work.
They look at the journals over and over
as they make more and more.
Each time visitors drop by,
they receive a detailed and proud explanation
of how the journals are made.

I'm amazed and humbled each time these ladies learn something new.
Not amazed that they can learn.
They are amazingly smart women.
They know how to help their families survive on next to nothing.
They are extremely "uneducated", but they are not dumb.
No, I'm not amazed that they can learn.
I'm amazed at the many little ways
they take what I teach them
and make it their own.
They learn their own little tricks
that make the craft
easier, more efficient, more beautiful.
I'm humbled by these ladies who don't realize their own gifts,
who never had someone tell them they are really good at something.
Each word of praise, each encouragement is met by a shy smile,
downcast eyes, mumbling lips.
But slowly, they are becoming more confident.
They humble me as they help me.
Many days I feel very dumb next to them.
Like the day I tried to scoop a full tub of glue
into a jar with a ruler.
They never judged me.
They simply reached out and scooped
all of the glue, by handfuls, into the jar.
Or when they make do with whatever is available.
Don't have enough scissors? We'll share.
Only one fan? It's hot, but it's ok.
Electricity goes out? No worries.
We have so much to learn from one another
if we will only open our eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment