First sandstorm: The power went out in the middle of the night last Saturday. I heard wind outside but didn't think much of it and went back to sleep. Sunday morning, our floors were covered in dirt. Hmmm…..Sunday afternoon, the sky suddenly went dark and it was as if thick sand began pouring from the sky - like rain, but it was sand. There was almost no visibility. The sand swirled and snaked around in the air for a good 15 minutes and then just as suddenly came rain. Praise the Lord for rain! It helped the dust die down - definitely one of the stranger things I've ever seen. Sadly, no pictures to document this.
First Hindi language lesson: I'm blessed with a sweet Indian lady who is teaching me Hindi. I want to learn so badly. Not much to say here, except please pray for quick learning!
First birthday in another country: Some sweet friends made it really special. M even made a homemade banana pudding! One of my absolute favorites. And it was delicious! I've never had one completely from scratch. Can't you just taste it? She even made the vanilla wafers! You should definitely check out her recipe blog, American Khanna.

Some friends gave me this handmade stationary set as a birthday gift. The paper is made by hand and then the pictures are painted by hand on each piece. It came in a beautiful case.



First auto rickshaw ride alone: I was so excited for this challenge. Who wouldn't be excited with these guys behind the wheel?
We were able to communicate with a little hindi, a little english, and a lot of hand motions. All the family charrade nights were great preparation. We've found another great auto driver who takes me back and forth to language lessons each day and who has also helped me run a few errands. One day, I needed lemons for M and he took me all over looking for just the right lemons (nimbus) at just the right price. He stopped at every vegetable stand until he found exactly what he was looking for. He also bought fruit as a gift to us. Such a kind man. Yesterday, I asked him to help me find a tailor for my kurtas (the long tops). Many times things are too big or the sleeves aren't sewn on, so you take them to a tailor. So the driver looked everywhere for one. Finally, he said, "You give me new kurtas. You give me old kurta for size. I take it to tailor by my home and bring back to you Monday." Really? Ok. So I did what he asked and we shall see. Here are some things I've seen as I've ridden around the city:
I looked to my left at a "traffic stop" and this guy was waiting ever so patiently as well.
Beautiful colors.
This was taken one afternoon as we were driving around in the city. I freaked out because I don't think I've ever seen an elephant. I didn't want to look like a tourist but had to get a picture. He's just strolling along in the middle of traffic. Of course - it's India. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment